Jamie received Circle Training in February 1999, when working for The Seward Neighborhood Group as RJ Coordinator. On April 20th of 1999 a school shooting took place at Columbine High School. Shortly after, she earned her MA Degree from St. Mary’s University in Human Development: Restorative Justice / Practices / Peacemaking Circle Process.
She heard the definition of a “calling” by F. Buechner: “. . . when a deep gladness in your heart meets a deep need in the world . . . ” She knew she was “called” to keeping the Circle strong and present in communities and schools for the rest of her life.
Jamie offers Circle Keeper Services, CircleTraining, Circle Consultation for Keepers and Introduction to Restorative Practice/Justice. Her business names are: The Restorative Way and Bear Witness Listening. (soon a website will be complete, it is under construction now)
ED Talks: Restorative Practices and Peacemaking Circles in Schools: A Way of Being, with Jamie Williams
Chuck Robertson, Native American teacher, at The Heart of the Earth School
Circle Keeper, Restorative Justice/Practice/Measures Consultant, Trainer, Teacher
- Restorative Justice Initiative Coordinator/Circle Keeper for Seward neighborhood Group
- Amicus Radius Program Restorative Justice Coordinator (girls juvenile justice) Circle Keeper
- Circle Keeper for MN CoSA; re-entry program for adult males who committed sex offenses
- Restorative Justice Coordinator Bayfield School and Liaison for Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Early Childhood Center
- University of Minnesota Center for Restorative Justice and Peacemaking Trainer
Peacemaking Circles in School and Community Settings
- Minnesota Department of Corrections VOCARE Program Faribault Prison
- Introduced Restorative Justice and Peacemaking Circles in Educational / Community settings*:
|Too many schools to name in Minnesota||Benito Juarez elementary San Diego, Cal|
|Minnesota Department of Corrections||Minnesota Department of Education|
|Indian Health Board,||U of M Youth Works Institute|
|Sheridan Wyoming: School Districts 1,2 and 3||Minnesota School District 287|
|Sequoyah Middle school staff Atlanta Georgia||Milwaukee Wisconsin Public Schools|
|Taos New Mexico Public Schools||Bayfield Public Schools Bayfield Wisconsin|
|Des Moines Iowa Public Schools||Tucson Arizona Public Schools|
|Alexandria Virginia T.C. Williams High School||Portland Oregon Public Schools|
|New York City Public Schools|
*This list is not complete but offers an overview of my experience as a trainer
My Training in Restorative Justice / Restorative Measures / Restorative Practices
- Family Group Conferencing / Decision Making Training
- Minnesota Department of Corrections Circle Training
- Minnesota Department of Corrections Circle Keeper Training
- Nares Mountain Wilderness Camp (Tlingit/Tagish First Nation), Yukon Territory, Canada 8 days. Circle Keeping Training for Trainers: A gathering to explore the responsibilities and importance of Circle Keepers-what they do before, during, and after a Circle. Share ideas of how to organize and carry out training gatherings on the principles, ceremonies, and practices of Circles
- University of Minnesota Center for Restorative Justice and Peacemaking: Community Justice Circles
- South St. Paul Public Schools Circle Keeper Training for Educators
- University of Minnesota Center for Restorative Justice and Peacemaking: Peacemaking and Spirituality
- University of Minnesota Center for Restorative Justice and Peacemaking: Victims of Severe Violence Meet the Offender (10 days)
- Health Realization: A Principle Based Framework / Minnesota Counseling and Education Center
- *This list is not complete but offers an overview of training received
Comments about Jamie Williams by Circle members or training participants
- I loved your immediate acceptance of everyone…sweet, sincere and healing
- Fabulous presenter. Jamie got us off to a wonderful start with her example.
- She has a wonderful ability of setting the mood if you will and tying things together.
- Humor, compassion, and direction – keeping us centered and gently moving.
- She is absolutely hilarious; her humor was excellent and helped keep the energy going.
- Genuine, open, wonderful energy, centered, bubbly personality and great stories!
- An honest and sensitive, absolutely committed spirit.
- Very clear, understanding, humble, and down-to-earth.
- Knowledge, humor, and sweet humanity, a very powerful and disarming teacher.
- Jamie is a marvelous (leader) from a position of being right beside us, not over us. She seemed to intuit what we needed.
- You are a server and a wisdom speaker…you are a daughter of Wakan Tonka.
Jamie and Oscar Reed Partnership: The Restorative Way
“Jamie and Oscar have extensive experience in Minnesota and around the nation training school staff and administrators, community members and social services staff. They also keep circles with students, gender specific as well as mixed, to address attendance and school connectedness issues, confusion around relationships and friendships, and for support. They are circle keepers for school, court and social services programs, working with youth and adults to repair harm, establish a family plan for child protection or to help victims and offenders address crimes of severe violence.”
—Nancy Riestenberg, Prevention Specialist, MN Department of Education
- Listing ID: 7682