As president of the Financial Planning Association in 2004-2005 I led the board to use circle process for governance, and World Cafe as well. Since then, I host and facilitate circles for women to change the conversation about money; I offer circle retreats & trainings for women financial advisors to help them open, find their voice and authenticity and learn circle process as a way to empower and engage women in their communities to change the conversation about money.
I have used it as a way to bridge generations in the profession of financial planning, also as part of facilitating company retreats. It is my work. I attended training through Peer Spirit, Berkhana Institute and Center for Courage and Renewal and Dr. Jean Shinoda Bolen.
I have co-hosted Art of Hosting events through Berkhana; non-profit board governance; association retreats; company retreats; for women to discover their relationship with money in their lives; with women advisors as a way to help them share their stories, find their voice and authentic self for their work and life; my own sacred circle; training listed above.
I have been associated with The Financial Planning Association; World Cafe (Juanita Brown); Peer Spirit; my company, Directions for Women; various companies; The NexGen Association – retreats; Berkhana Institute: Art of Hosting; The New School University; other associations.
Areas of Interest and Service
I am available to facilitate one-time conversational events focused on changing the conversation about money: can do with all women or men and women. I also do public speaking on the value of dialogue; on future of money and other topics; also offer one-day introduction to the circle gathering for women financial advisors; and 3 – 5 day retreats on money, wisdom and life for women and to train women advisors.
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS
• Co-founder, TurningPoint. A company that offers retreats and consulting to financial advisors on career transitions, succession planning and building culture and communication practices. The firm also offers retreats and trainings on how to use participatory learning processes (circle, world café, open space technology) to empower, educate and engage women around money (and couples as well). (2010 – present)
• Private coaching and consulting practice, helping financial planners and firms develop their services, presentation skills and client care processes (2008 – present); facilitating financial life planning conversations for individuals and groups.
• Adjunct Professor, California Lutheran University, California Institute of Finance, School of Business Financial Planning MBA Program (2010 – present)
• Speaker, Author and Participatory Leadership Events on Financial Planning topics; Women and Money; The Future of Financial Well-Being
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
• Adjunct Professor, University of Georgia College of Family and Consumer Sciences, Financial Planning Undergraduate/Graduate Program (2011 – present)
• Mentor, The Financial Planning Association Residency Program, an intensive 6-day CE-credit program for new planners designed to develop and integrate students’ communication, technical and presentation skills. 2001-present.
• Guest lecturer, Georgia State University MBA in Financial Planning program (2004 – present); Golden Gate University (2015 – present)
• President of the national board of directors of The Financial Planning Association, 2004; Chair of the FPA, 2005; board member 2001-2005.
• Board member and President of the ICFP/ FPA of Georgia chapter, 1997-2000.
• Financial Planning practitioner, thought-leader and CFP® professional for over 30 years.
• Listed in “Top 50 Women in Wealth Management in 2010” by WealthManagerWeb.com.
• Listed as a “Mover & Shaker in the Profession” by Financial Planning Magazine, January 2005.
• Recipient of the Outstanding Service Award in 2012, by the Financial Planning Department, University of Georgia Family and Consumer Counseling College, for contributions to the students, knowledge, the college and teaching.
• “The 150 Best Financial Advisers for Doctors” by Medical Economics magazine in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.
• Honored as Outstanding Financial Planner and Leader in the Profession by the FPA of Georgia, 2007.
CREDENTIALS AND DEGREE
• Certified Financial Planner® professional since 1991.
• Bachelor of Arts Degree, New School University, 1990, Communications and Financial Planning. Credits toward Master’s Degree in Communications (not completed), New School University.
Numerous list of articles, interviews and presentations.